‘From Lockdown to Listening and Learning’
Jenny Mosley’s Online Training Package for Home or School
When you purchase this resource you are agreeing HOW TO / WHO CAN use this package. By purchasing and/or accessing these documents you agree that you will not share, distribute, sell or pass on in any format electronically, or on paper any of the work or intellectual property that is part of this resource, with anyone who is NOT IN YOUR SCHOOL OR TEAM. Purchase and usage of this course is for one school / team only. (Please note: You will need to be able to access: MS Powerpoint, MS Word, Video, PDF)
DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTENTS IN THE PACKAGE
1. An Online Staff Meeting Powerpoint Presentation which includes:
This Powerpoint presentation can be watched / read from home by all staff or can be used in school to form the central ideas for a back-to-school staff meeting, led by a facilitator to support honest discussion and positive participation.
- Foreword– A Hello from Jenny Mosley – putting in context what we all most need from each other at the moment.
- Where are We Now? – a way of looking at emotions more coolly and a suggestion for how we can distance ourselves and reflect on what is happening. We have included a personal way of looking at Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and how it directly relates to you.
- Our Own Wellbeing – time to think of which ideas you most need to prioritise. A time to think. Jenny shares with you her highly acclaimed Five Wells For Wellbeing Model so that you can develop your own personal care plan.
- The Quality Circle Time Golden Model – this DVD clip is from the award-winning school Watercliffe Meadow in Sheffield who are committed to all aspects of Jenny’s Golden Model to run their therapeutic, nurturing and learning to learn school.Attention here is given to the framework that is needed to make circle time lesson plans work. These include how to teach The Five Skills, how the Five Steps keep Circle Time safe and the Groundrules that are needed and Top Tips for Social Distancing and a Self Evaluation sheet.
- Moving Forwards – A very brief homemade ‘goodbye’ clip from Jenny in lockdown. The way forward seems to rest only on kindness. The most important person to be kind to is yourself so you have the energy to be kind to others.
2. A Practical Therapeutic Staff Meeting In School So Staff Can Feel Confident To Use The Method Themselves With Their Children
It is important that we practice what we preach! I have carefully pulled together a staff meeting into the Five Steps so that the staff can feel the benefits of circle time themselves. All you need is an enthusiastic person who is happy to lead this meeting once they have read my session plan. I always say to the leader/teacher to tell the children or the adults in the circle “I’m not an expert – I am just an enthusiast.”
3. Six KS2 Therapeutic Lesson Plans to Help Children Adjust Emotionally, Regain Their Self-Confidence, Engender A Sense Of ‘Team’ And A Motivation For Learning
4. Four Foundation Stage And KS1 Therapeutic Session Plans That Can Be Adapted For The Needs And Ages of Any Early Years Group
5. A Quality Circle Time In Action DVD.
The original DVD that shows Jenny running a masterclass circle time with a KS1 and a KS2 class who she has not met before. Yes, it did happen a long time ago – but all the principles, and the positive ways of interacting with children are exactly the same. It also contains a little booklet of the lesson plans used in the DVD.
6. A Step By Step Guide To Circle Time by Jenny Mosley.
This highly acclaimed teachers’ handbook is well laid out, with clear steps and lesson plans. A whole book pdf to download.
7. Course Handouts
We have included here some key handouts which cover the key issues mentioned in the package.
- Developing Good Relationships
- The Importance of Attachment and Nurture
- Adverse Childhood Experiences
8. Further Resources, Online Training and Online Consultation Available with Jenny Mosley
Training in your school with all your staff or groups of staff on Wellbeing For All, Vibrant Circle Time, Positive Lunchtimes and Respectful Relationships.
Online training packages on all the above – are currently in process.
Online seminars and live discussions about any issues in your schools can be booked.
A vast range of books, posters, cards, playground zone signs and puppets are available from our shop (www.circle-time.co.uk/shop)
Jenny Mosley Consultancies
For training 01225 767157
For Positive Press Resources 01225 719204
THE CHALLENGES OF 2020
We are working hard to produce online training opportunities for schools to reflect the current challenges – as we all move ‘From Lockdown to Listening and Learning’. Do check in to see other resources we are producing in the near future.
Angela Dhillon, Inclusion Manager, Andrea Nash, Senior Learning Mentor and Samina Thorpe, Assistant Headteacher/Inclusion Manager, Moss Hall Schools Federation
This resource is very helpful because it reminds us of the Ground Rules and Five Steps of Circle Time. There will now be continuity across infants and juniors….
It is a good starting point as a refresher for staff who are working remotely and are about to return and engage with children after lockdown. The sessions plan provides a framework to help and support staff and children in dealing with issues from ‘lockdown’ as they arise.
There is a clear structure for each lesson – it starts with less tricky themes and build to more in-depth discussions
Philip Dixon Year 5 Teachers, Dallington School, Madrid; Assistant Principal, Primary Section Bangkok Patana School; Head of Assessment, Alice Smith School, Kuala Lumpur
“In these troubling and difficult times, I cannot think of a more important aim for schools than to help children grow up to take their place in society as happy, balanced, respectful, confident, caring citizens. Circle Time is a tried and tested model that will help create a happier school environment to make that dream come true.”
Fizz Starkey previously Head of Motcombe Infant School, currently Parent Governor
‘From Lockdown to Learning’ – a great resource guaranteed to help children and staff move from traumatic times to fun filled learning together.
Carin Quinn, Healthy Schools Practitioner. Caerphilly County Borough Council
I think it’s an excellent resource that will really help children and benefit teachers in these strange times. Each child’s experience of lockdown will be significantly different….so these sessions are invaluable to restore some sense of calm and balance for everyone. Children will need to re-connect with each other and learn again how to communicate, co-operate and listen to each other. What better than Quality Circle Time.
Sarah Bates, Registered Mental Health Nurse
Circle time is such a valuable resource for children and teachers. It promotes wellbeing for all those who are involved in this approach. It helps children’s lifelong skills with listening, learning about their own and others’ emotions, and helping develop problem solving skills.
I have worked as a Mental Health nurse for many years in a variety of settings and know how useful this approach can be for adults – staff and clients. Circle time has such a positive and healthy foundation and solid core to work from I feel this whole system approach should be available not just in education but health, social care and any other organisations with the needs of people at the heart of them. It’s so good to now have this resource online.
Andrew McKechnie, Year 6 class teacher and DSL, West Rise Junior School
Fantastic lesson plans – we will most certainly introduce these lessons immediately when the children return. The benefit that countless children across the country will gain from these is truly untold – what a great way to think about returning to school.
Emma Wayper, Assistant Headteacher, Watercliffe Meadow School
I think the plans are beautiful and will be so useful as a guide to teachers as children arrive back at school. We just do not know how children will come back and with what feelings and baggage so, as a teacher, having these plans will give me more confidence. Circle Time will be more important than ever (however we have to do it) and we are so lucky you have done this thinking for us. I can’t wait to use these materials in our school.